For all the expats out there, one thing is common, and that is this one thought at the back of the mind all the time. Whether we should just go back to the country we were born in, to the place we miss and to the neighborhood which has all our loved ones around. This one inquest is permanent, it comes and it goes but is never sorted or resolved.
Mainly because of the uncertainty that comes with the thoughts of moving back. I want it to be an interacting session wherein I want to know your views about it as we have been struggling as well, trying to come to a decision which would be best for us. Let’s just take record of all concerns – one at a time and try to find a fix for all of them.
1. Job: Most of us, or we can say all of us are in some other country due to the better pastures or opportunities in our work area be it financial, professional or growth oriented. Now when you contemplate on moving back, first thing to tick off that list is whether you have a new job/venture or business to look forward to. And in case the job/business doesn’t seem to be as rewarding as your current status don’t be disappointed right away. Key lies in forecasting whether you can grow to the same level in 1-2 years. If the answer is yes, the hurdle is solved and you can think for it as the little struggle is unavoidable. Will all the struggle be worth it is the question that needs to be answered.
2. Family Preference: Take in account what your family preference would be, over a course of 2-3 years. These decisions actually are the main reasons anyone thinks of moving out of the place he is already in apart from his/her own job as mentioned at Point 1.
Do you have ailing parents back home or your child has some plans say a specific university or country for their studies or your partner’s career choices. Finalizing upon your priorities will give you a direction and a clearer picture of where you want to be or will have to be in coming years.
3. Luxuries: The little luxuries availed while in a foreign land seems routine while you are living there but in the absence of them, life does become tough. I know how my hubby can go on cribbing about the basics like electricity or cleanliness or traffic when we are in India. We all laugh at it a lot but these things do come in my mind when I seriously think of going back for good. After all I don’t want to be a cribber. You just need to prepare yourself on what you are planning to give up for what.
4. Setting it up from the scratch: Change in geography means the need to set up your place from the scratch, which comes with the whopping cost. I really feel the need to spend wiser and smarter grows manifold when you are already at a risk in starting new things. I came across Rentomojo.com which offers a commitment- free and cost-effective solution to rent all things you need at affordable cost and return without any hassle when you don’t need it any more. Best part is in case you get certain about the product or your decision, you can own it as well. No seriously, isn’t it so cool. The options are unlimited from furniture (sofa, bed, dining table, etc.) to appliances (TV, washing machine, air conditioner, etc.) to the much bigger investment commodities like bikes.
And be assured of the savings, as Rentomojo buys directly from the manufacturers at considerably lower prices to give you much cheaper rentals than EMIs in buying from the retails stores, which of course comes with truck loads of depreciation and future baggage in case you need to move back.
Don’t you wish all the facets of relocation were made so easy as well? Just sigh and let Rentomojo take charge of at least this with subscription lifestyle.
Below home décor pictures are from my own, my sister in laws’ home in Gurgaon and my best friend’s home in Delhi all courtesy Rentomojo.com.
5. Buffer: Please make sure that you have made decent savings before taking the plunge. Needless to say that the uncertain future calls for some buffer. May be you can review your current liabilities, if any, to assess the savings correctly. If you are planning to pursue your own business, add the start up cost and maintenance cost for the first few months till the business will be up and running with profits. A detailed planning needs to be done in order to be ready for all situations.
Any decision you will take after keeping in mind all the main points will be the best for you. However the struggle is to get the definite answers to these concerns because who can predict the future. All you can do is be prepared, research well and keep faith. Have no qualms about taking the big step if you have realized that it is the best for you because in the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take. :D